History of the Society

History of the Oncological Society

Czech Society for Oncology of ČLS JEP was founded as an idependent section on 23rd May 1969

Presidents of the Oncological Society and its predecessors:

1905 prof. MUDr. Václav Rubeška
1913 prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Hlava
1925 prof. MUDr. Rudolf Jedlička
1926 prof. MUDr. Václav Rubeška
1934 prof. MUDr. Heřman Šikl (LPR)
1951 prof. MUDr. Jan Šula, DrSc. (onkologická sekce ČLS JEP)

Foundation of the Czech Society for Oncology

1969 – 1974 prof. MUDr. Vladimír Stašek
1974 – 1986 prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Švejda, DrSc.
1986 – 1989 doc. prof. MUDr. Josef Koutecký, DrSc.
1989 – 1999 doc. MUDr. Vladimír Kubec, CSc.
1999 – 2003 prof. MUDr. Pavel Klener, DrSc.
2003 prof. MUDr. Jiří Vorlíček, CSc.

…before foundation of COS ČLS JEP

  • 1905 foundation of Association for the Creation and Upkeeping of Sanatorium for the Ill with Malignant New Growth, Particularly Cancer.
  • Association renamed to Association for Examination and Control of Cancer in Prague
  • 1926 Association renamed to Czechoslovak Association for Examination and Control of Malignant Growth in Prague
  • 1928 Foundation for Construction of House of Consolation and Bakeš Foundation
  • 1934 League Against Cancer founded as a uniting association of all associations
  • 1951 foundation of Oncological Section of Czechoslovak Medical Association of J.E. Purkyně (est.1949)
  • 23. 5. 1969 foundation of independent Czechoslovak Oncological Society ČLS JEP

Information taken from article by doc. PhDr. Věra Linhartová, CSc; Cabinet of Medical History of Institute of Social Medicine of Masaryk University Medical Faculty in Brno. Oncological Society. Prepared for publication: Hundredyearbook: History of Czech Medical Association of J.E. Purkyně. Prague, ČLS JEP, 2000, p. 273